Friday, February 8, 2013

Classic Lady Grantham Quotes (Because We All Need A Good Laugh!)



She's witty, she's sarcastic, she's prejudiced against Americans and she's amazing - easily my favorite Downton Abbey character.  Lady Grantham also reminds me of my late, Great Aunt "C" (short for Celia) - they share the same "old lady smirk", as I like to call it, and my Aunt used to have zingers very comparable to Lady Grantham's.  Since it's Friday and I certainly need a laugh after a stressful week of moving- and property management-related activities, I thought a compilation of Lady Grantham quotes was in order.  I will add to the list as the season progresses :)  Enjoy a good lol for me!

1.)

Lady Grantham: "I think it's a ridiculous idea."
Lady Sybil: "Why?"
Lady Grantham: "Because this is a house, not a hospital."
Lady Mary: "Granny, a convalescent home is where people rest and recuperate."
Lady Grantham: "But if there are relapses. What then? Amputation in the dining room? Resuscitation in the pantry?"

2.)

Sir Richard Carlisle:  "I'm leaving the morning Lady Grantham, I doubt we'll meet again."
Lady Grantham:  "Do you promise?"

3.)

Lady Grantham:  "Oh my dears. Is it really true? I can't believe it. Last night he looked so well. Of course it *would* happen to a foreigner.  It's typical."
Lady Mary:  "Don't be ridiculous."
Lady Grantham:  "I'm not being ridiculous. No Englishman would *dream* of dying in someone else's house - especially somebody they didn't even know."

4.)

Lady Grantham:  "What is a weekEND?"


5.)

Lady Grantham:  "Your turn will come."
Lady Edith:  "Will it? Or am I to be the maiden aunt? Isn't this what they do? Arrange presents for their prettier relations?"

Lady Grantham:  "Don't be defeatist dear, it's terribly middle class."

6.)

Lady Grantham: "Good heavens, what am I sitting on?"

Matthew:  "A swivel... chair."

 Lady Grantham:  "Oh, another modern brainwave?"

 Matthew:  "Not very modern; they were invented by Thomas Jefferson."

 Lady Grantham:  "Why does every day involve a fight with an American?"

 7.)

Lady Grantham:  [to Mrs. Crawley when they realize Mary will not take Matthew despite the fact that he remains the heir to the title and estate] "Your quarrel is with my daughter, Rosamund, and not with me. So put that in your pipe and smoke it."

 8.)

Lady Sybil: "No one ever learned anything from a governess except for French, and how to curtsy."

 Lady Grantham:  "What more do you need?"

9.)

Lady Grantham:  “First electricity, now telephones. Sometimes I feel as if I’m living in an H.G. Wells novel.”

10.)

Lady Grantham:  “I knew this family was approaching disillusion, I wasn’t aware that illusion was already upon us.”

11.)

Lady Grantham: “We’ll have to take her abroad, in these moments you can usually find an Italian who’s not too picky.”

12.)

Lady Grantham:  “Alas, I am beyond impropriety”

 

1 comment: