Thursday, October 10, 2013

Detox Project: Make Your Own Tinted Lip Balm (This One Smells Like Fall!)


Last year, I posted a Peppermint-Cocoa lip balm recipe that is perfect for the holidays.  Ever since then, I have been wanting to make a tinted version that would be just as natural, but without the Cocoa Butter (it has a strong scent).  I ended up using this base recipe from Wellness Mama, tweaked it a little, and absolutely LOVE the result!  I also love the fact that I can apply this several times a day without worrying about the presence of harmful chemicals (like petroleum derivatives) on my lips or in my mouth, and I can let my kids use it as well.

Please note that the tint adds only a hint of color to the lips, and this picture is deceiving because my camera is not great - it comes out more of a caramel color.  As I mention in the title, though, it smells like Fall and I simply can't get enough of it!

Tinted Lip Balm Recipe
1 tsp Beeswax Pastilles**
1 tsp Shea Butter**
1 tsp Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Elderberry Syrup or Honey
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
1 drop Eucalyptus Essential Oil

Directions:  Melt the beeswax, Shea butter and coconut oil in a glass bowl in the microwave (about 1 minute - only until melted).  Quickly add the syrup or honey, cinnamon and oils.  Stir vigorously and continuously until well blended (might take a few minutes).  Once the mixture is blended, pour quickly into chapstick containers.  Let cool completely before using.  This recipe will make 2 chapsticks.

**I purchased the Shea butter, beeswax pastilles and chapstick containers from Mountain Rose Herbs.**

++Please Note: If you add cinnamon or another spice to this recipe, it will act as a type of "scrub" if you don't strain it out.  I don't mind it, but if you want a smooth balm, just use a tea ball or other small strainer and strain it as you pour it into your container.++

No comments:

Post a Comment