Thursday, November 7, 2013

Medicine Cabinet Detox Project: FIRE CIDER Instead of OTC Decongestant!



Fire Cider...sounds intimidating, right?  Well, it smells intimidating, too, let me tell you!  I came across this traditional cold remedy recipe last year on the Mountain Rose Herb blog and made sure I had all of the ingredients to make it right at the beginning of the Fall, since it needs to "macerate" for approximately 4 weeks.  I know, it looks like orange juice, but looks can be deceiving!  According to Mountain Rose Herbs,  "The tasty combination of vinegar infused with powerful immune-boosting, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, decongestant, and spicy circulatory movers makes this recipe especially pleasant and easy to incorporate into your daily diet to help boost the immune system, stimulate digestion, and get you nice and warmed up on cold days."  This remedy is a tangy, spicy, sinus-opening blend of vinegar, jalapenos, horseradish root, ginger, onion and turmeric, among other cold-symptom-fighting ingredients.  Thankfully, my batch of Fire Cider finished macerating the same week I came down with a nasty cold - and let me tell you, it cleared up my sinuses immediately and cut my cold symptoms IN HALF by the next day (I took a teaspoonful every 3 to 4 hours).  The cold was completely resolved within a few days.  (On a side note, my Homemade Vapor Rub was extremely helpful at night.)

Even though it's spicy, it's definitely tasty, and I'm looking forward to making a stir-fry and maybe even some salad dressing with this Fire Cider.  Instead of reaching for that OTC decongestant that probably contains phenylephrine (which boasts hypertension as its most common side effect), take a spoonful of Fire Cider instead!  It might cause your eyes to water, but that's about it in the way of side effects :). (See the link above for the recipe.)

**NOTE:  Don't get too close to the horseradish root while you are shredding it - it's about 100 times worse than cutting an onion.  Also, the turmeric will stain surfaces, so be careful to quickly wipe up any spills during the straining process.**

No comments:

Post a Comment