Friday, January 17, 2014

Papaya Daiquiri Smoothie Recipe



Alright, well it's not exactly a daiquiri because there's no alcohol involved, (although I suppose there could be...) but it's certainly reminiscent of one.  This is definitely a drink I would want to be sippin' on a sandy white beach - or poolside next to a tiki hut of some kind.  Can you tell I'd rather be somewhere warm today?!

Back to reality...this recipe is really very simple and versatile, and the papaya gives the smoothie an amazing texture and color.  I'm not a fan of papaya as an eating fruit (because it's rather bland), but I would take it in a smoothie over almost any other fruit.  I used fresh papaya in this case (from Super Walmart, of all places, and it was actually good!) although frozen would work just as well.  Aside from the papaya, the other key ingredient in these smoothies is the Pineapple Coconut juice (that I also found at Walmart) pictured above.  AMAZING flavor, and it's 100% juice with no additives!  I made two big batches - we ate one batch and stored the other batch in 8-oz. mason jars and the plastic 8-oz Ball freezer jelly jars with the screw-on lids (for easy transportation). 

These smoothies were a hit with both the kids and husband alike, even though no sugar was involved (my husband usually likes to add sugar to smoothies, even though it's totally unnecessary).  Enjoy a taste of the tropics, even if you're in the midst of Arctic weather like me!

Papaya Daiquiri Smoothies

1/2 medium fresh papaya, cubed
1 frozen banana, halved
1 large handful frozen strawberries
2 cups Pineapple Coconut juice (or more or less, depending on the thickness you desire)

Directions:  Place papaya in blender or smoothie maker with frozen banana.  Pour the juice in until about 1/3 of the fruit is covered.  Pulse until blended.  Add strawberries and blend well.  Store any leftovers in the refrigerator (makes approx. 4-6 servings).




No comments:

Post a Comment