Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cabinet Detox Project #1 - Natural Deoderant

While at the grocery store shopping for aluminum-free baking powder, it suddenly hit me - Why do I want to avoid ingesting aluminum, yet I slather it all over my underarms on a daily basis?  From the baking aisle, I wandered over to the deodorant section and was astounded to read the high price tag on the "natural" deodorants (which also contained a bunch of chemicals that seemed unnecessary).  So, at a loss as to what to do, I continued to use the deodorant I had, but the dilemma remained on my mind the whole time. 

Not too long after my grocery store epiphany, someone posted a GREAT natural deodorant recipe on Facebook and I decided to give it a try.  Don't get me wrong, I was a bit of a skeptic at first...but I soon became a believer.  It took about two weeks for my body to get used to the change, but once it did - I swear to you - it works just as well as my trusty old Secret antiperspirant did in the "odor" arena. 

Now, if you're wearing black, you'll need to be careful in the application, and if it's summer and your house is hot, you will need to keep the container in the fridge to keep the coconut oil from melting (I didn't mind cold deodorant all summer - it was rather refreshing, actually).  Otherwise, this is a wonderful recipe and dependable deodorant.  If you have sensitive skin or react to commercial deodorants, this would probably be a great option, too, as long as you can handle the tea tree oil. 

All I did was wash out an old deodorant container and pour the recipe in!  This recipe will fill the container and I think it lasts just about as long (maybe a little less) than a normal container of aluminum-ridden deodorant.  Give it a try - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, and your less-toxic body will thank you. 


Natural Deoderant

Natural Deodorant

5 Tbs coconut oil*
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup baking soda
a few drops of tea tree oil essential oil*

*I purchased my tea tree oil at Trader Joe's and I get my coconut oil here.  I went with tea tree oil instead of another essential oil because of its good antifungal and antimicrobial properties.

Melt the oil in a small saucepan on the stove.  Mix in the corn starch and baking soda, and remove from heat.  Add the essential oil and let the mixture cool in a glass measuring cup before pouring into an old deodorant container (keep stirring while the mixture is in the measuring cup).  Place in refrigerator until cold (the coconut oil will harden).  You can either store it in a cool spot or leave it in the fridge.

Let me know what you think!