Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ginger Honey Lemon Tea

Since the weather is slowly turning here in the North, and my toddler has a runny nose to prove it, I figured I'd share my favorite "cold fighter" recipe - Ginger Honey Lemon Tea.  I drink two to three cups of this tea per day as soon as I start feeling the slightest bit of a cold coming on.  I have also used this dosage, together with eating two garlic cloves per day and adding one cup of rosemary tea (and lots of sleep), to successfully treat Mastitis.  (Due to a severe reaction to antibiotics I had a few years ago, I have to avoid them whenever possible.)  This tea is easy to make, tastes great, and I can attest that it greatly reduces the symptoms and duration of colds that I have had.   According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, ginger, in addition to helping in the treatment of the common cold and flu-like symptoms, can also be used to treat motion sickness, vomiting and painful menstrual bleeding.  I keep a bag of peeled, sliced ginger in the freezer year-round, as well as a bottle of lemon concentrate in the fridge in case symptoms strike when fresh ginger and lemons are not in the house. 

Here's how to make the tea:

1/2-inch to 1-inch slice of fresh ginger root, peeled
4 cups water
3 squeezes fresh lemon juice (or one good squeeze of concentrate)
1 teaspoon raw honey (or more or less to taste)

In a saucepan on the stove, bring ginger root and water to a boil, then reduce to simmering for 20 minutes, or until the liquid has been reduced to half the original amount.  Remove from heat, pour into a mug, add lemon juice and honey, and enjoy!

 *Please note - since ginger may increase the risk of bleeding, consult a doctor regarding ginger use if you are currently taking blood-thinning medications (including aspirin), diabetes medication or high-blood pressure medication (ginger may lower blood pressure in some people).*