Friday, July 12, 2013

Detox Project: Homemade Bug Spray!

I never had to use bug spray growing up, since I was a city girl, and city girls don't need bug spray.  However, after having children and moving to a house with a heavily wooded yard, I found myself in dire need of some.  The problem is, I refuse to use the chemical-laden kind available at the stores.  So, in that case, what's a city-girl-turned-country-girl to do?  MAKE HER OWN!  I found a great recipe on this website, and it has variations depending on the types of essential oils you have on hand.  Due to it being a very rainy summer around here, the mosquitoes are breeding quite rapidly and plentifully.  So, I doused myself with this bug spray just last night and went out to the woods at dusk.  I couldn't believe it, but it actually worked!  Not a single mosquito bite, despite the fact that I was practically in a swarm of them for at least a half hour.  Give it a try!  Next spring, I'm definitely going to make the more powerful Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent variation. 

This is what I used:

1/2 Cup boiled or distilled water
1/2-3/4 Cup witch hazel
30 drops lavender essential oil
20 drops peppermint essential oil

There are more variations of essential oils that you can use here.  Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment